Saturday, September 16, 2006

IC Part II

Ah yes, bear with me as the roman numerals in the title get more complicated.




In Torun, we wisited the gingerbread house, with the master gingerbread maker who first made gingerbread with us, then completed our gingerbread certificates. I must say, I was very satisfied: as opposed to my framed bachelor's degree from the University of St. Gallen, which has so far eluded any use whatsoever (apart from nearly killing me once when it fell off the nail and onto my sleeping head) I was actually able to use this high gram per square meter certificate to alleviate a dire situation (whose nature I shall not further disclose, except for the fact that it had to do with a seemingly omnipresent lack of paper of another kind in the country of poland)... [If you didnt get this last sentece, its ok: it not that funny, plus it would finally remove the last fig leaf hiding my shameful, vulgar mind behind a haze of artificial metaphor. ]



Continuing the journey, we arrived at Stutthof concentration camp. On the picture, behind the barbed wire, you will see the lonely waking figure of Davy Lin. I could only suspect that at the time I took this picture, Lynnie was wrestling with the inhumanity of humankind. [Should you be looking for a meaningful discussion of this topic, I urge you to check out her blog entry on the subject, which I assure you is dipped in refreshingly less postmodern irony/cynisism than my blog entries could ever hope to be.] I for one was very busy searching for hidden beauty, contemplating how chic she looked with that cute little blue rucksack.

Anyway, time passed and went and flew by, and soon, it was time for opening ceremony.

needless to say, AIESEC is man enough to admit that bigger is actually better, which is why opening ceremony was just one incredibly long, gargantuan ceremony to celebrate just how incredibly gargantuan you can make opening ceremonies be. The show included everything, including dancing bunnies and dancing little girls, girls, women, little boys, boys and men, plus company executives, which really is just another way of saying it was very big. Then, there was some postmodern polish country music, which I guess added the dot on the "gargantuan . "

And then, the acutal conference started...

Oh, yes, but what would it all have been without Global Village. On the picture, a part of the Chinese delegation. Because she's so cute, we'll give the MC member on the right the benefit of the doubt about the blonde ethnic Chinese part. For more on this global village globalization phenomenon, check out my next post.

No comments: